“As we grew, our need for internal tools was paramount, and the Galil team have proven themselves again and again. It was a good decision to double the size of the Galil development team within our Operations unit!”
R&D Director, Head of R&D Operations at Taboola
After launching in 2006, Taboola has grown to become the leading discovery platform on the open web, serving a combination of the world’s best brands and the most respected global publishers. Using machine-learning algorithms, the Taboola technology analyzes hundreds of signals to capture exactly what kind of content is most likely to engage each individual, with more than one billion unique users a month.
To remain a leading light in the discovery industry, Taboola’s goal was to build an internal tools team, enabling Sales, PS and R&D massive growth, while not affecting the main roadmap. This goal has taken on special importance for Taboola, with the close attention of the company senior managers.
Taboola looked at a number of local teams and solutions, but were convinced that Galil Software’s R&D extension team was what they needed.
With an initial team of three developers, including a Team Leader, the following e2e responsibilities were defined:
1. Team receives requirements for a new tool which needs to be developed.
2. Team analyzes the requirements and designs a suitable solution for the tool.
3. Team creates jobs for build and deployment in Jenkins and makes sure the service is running on the server.
4. Team develops in relevant technologies according to the need of the developed web tool (technologies are not set; we choose the technologies and change according to the need, with a POC also developed).
5. Team develops unit tests for the code.
6. Team is responsible for testing the tool.
7. Team chooses a name for the tool.
8. Team maintains the tool after release and adds new features as required.
As part of the overall solution for Taboola, a number of important projects have been developed by the team:
Each project has it is own functionality with various technologies in use:
The Galil team worked on these various tools and technologies in cooperation with different departments at Taboola. Thanks to a successful building of trust and responsibility, Taboola now knows that any challenge can be taken on by the Galil team.
The initial Galil team consisted of three developers including a Team Leader, and quickly expanded to seven developers.
Advantages for Taboola include: